2023 is the year to take a cycling vacation Asheville North Carolina as its designated as “Year of the Trail”. The goal of this designation is to celebrate North Carolina’s vast network of trails, greenways, and blueways, and to encourage people to get out and enjoy them.
Get ready to pedal through the stunning landscapes of Asheville, North Carolina! Asheville offers a cycling paradise, whether you’re an avid cyclist seeking thrilling mountain trails or a leisurely rider looking to soak in scenic beauty. From the iconic Blue Ridge Parkway to the hidden gems of Pisgah National Forest, embark on an unforgettable two-wheeled adventure. Join us as we explore the best cycling routes, indulge in local delicacies, discover captivating attractions, and find the perfect places to stay. Get your gears ready for an unforgettable cycling experience in Asheville!
From The UK
If you are visiting from the UK there are several carriers that can fly you to Asheville. Flight time is around 12 hours with at least 1 stop, expect to pay around a £1000 pounds for a return ticket. You can fly your bike for free if it is under 23kg as part of your luggage allowance. However, we suspect you will want to take other items of clothing with you, the addition charge for the cycle is $150. We have written a guide for flying with your cycle.
- Bike can be taken as part of checked allowance
- Must be under 50lbs / 23kg
- Must be under 62 inches / 1.57m in linear dimensions
- Above this will incur a fee of $150, increasing allowance to 70lbs / 32kg and 126 inches / 3.2m
- visit American Airlines
From The USA
- By Air: Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is located about 15 miles south of downtown Asheville. It serves several major airlines and offers domestic flights from various cities.
- By Car: Asheville is conveniently located at the intersection of two major interstates, I-40 and I-26. If you’re traveling from nearby cities or states, driving to Asheville can be a convenient option.
- By Bus: Several bus services, such as Greyhound and Megabus, provide routes to Asheville from major cities in the region.
- By Train: While there is no direct train service to Asheville, you can take an Amtrak train to nearby cities like Greenville, SC, or Spartanburg, SC, and then arrange for transportation to Asheville. Do check if your route allows cycles on the train because they have to be staffed stations, at the start and end point.
The Cycling Trails of Asheville
- Blue Ridge Parkway: This iconic scenic road offers breathtaking views and a challenging ride. It stretches for 469 miles and provides numerous access points near Asheville.
- Bent Creek Experimental Forest: Located just outside Asheville, this area offers a network of well-maintained trails suitable for all skill levels. You’ll find a mix of accessible, intermediate, and advanced routes.
- Pisgah National Forest: Known for its rugged beauty, Pisgah National Forest offers a wide range of trails for mountain biking. It features technical singletracks, epic climbs, and thrilling descents.
- DuPont State Recreational Forest: A short drive from Asheville, DuPont Forest boasts over 80 miles of trails, including some of the area’s most famous mountain biking routes. The scenic waterfalls add to the charm.
- North Carolina Arboretum: This picturesque botanical garden has paved paths and gravel trails perfect for leisurely cycling. You can enjoy a relaxed ride surrounded by beautiful gardens and exhibits.
Places to Stay in Asheville
The Omni Grove Park Inn:
This historic resort offers luxurious accommodations and stunning mountain views. Enjoy the spa, golf course, and various dining options. The Omni Grove Park Inn is a historic hotel in Asheville, North Carolina. It is known for its beautiful architecture, luxurious amenities, and stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The hotel has hosted guests for over a century and is a popular destination for weddings, reunions, and other special events.
The Omni Grove Park Inn has a variety of guest rooms and suites to choose from, all of which are decorated in a luxurious and inviting style. The hotel also has a number of amenities, including a spa, golf course, pool, and multiple restaurants. It s located in the heart of Asheville, close to many popular attractions, including the Biltmore Estate, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Asheville Botanical Gardens. The hotel is also within easy reach of hiking, biking, and fishing trails. Over 8 thousand reviews on Trip adviser and scores 4.5/5, Full Details here.
The Inn on Biltmore Estate:
Stay on the Biltmore Estate property and experience the grandeur of this iconic landmark. The inn offers elegant rooms and easy access to all the estate’s attractions. The Inn on Biltmore Estate is a 215-room luxury hotel located on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. It was built in 1910 by George Vanderbilt as a place for guests to stay while visiting the estate. The inn has been renovated several times over the years, but it still retains much of its original charm.
The inn offers a variety of amenities, including a spa, fitness center, heated outdoor pool, and two restaurants. Guests can also enjoy a variety of activities on the Biltmore Estate, such as exploring the gardens, hiking, biking, and fishing. The inn has a bike storage facility located on the property. The facility is free to use and is staffed 24 hours a day. To store your bicycle, simply bring it to the bike storage facility and leave it in one of the designated spaces. They also offer bicycle rentals for guests who do not have their own bicycles. The rental fee is $20 per day for a single bike and $30 per day for a tandem bike.
Trip Adviser Reviews, The Inn on Biltmore Estate
The Inn on Biltmore Estate has a 4.5-star rating on TripAdvisor, based on over 2,900 reviews.
Examples of positive reviews:
- “The room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious with a great shower.”
- “The staff was very friendly and helpful. They went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay.”
- “The food at the restaurant was delicious. We had the tasting menu and it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had.”
- “We loved exploring the Biltmore Estate. It was such a beautiful place and we learned a lot about the history of the estate.”
- “We would definitely stay at the Inn on Biltmore Estate again. It was a wonderful experience.”
Examples of negative reviews:
- “The room was a bit noisy due to traffic outside.”
- “The breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing. There wasn’t much variety.”
- “The Wi-Fi in the room was not very good.”
- “The hotel is a bit pricey.”
- “Overall, we had a good stay, but there were a few things that could have been improved.”
Haywood Park Hotel:
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, this boutique hotel combines modern amenities. The Haywood Park Hotel is a 4-star hotel in downtown Asheville, North Carolina. It is located in a historic building that was once the Bon Marche department store. The hotel has been renovated and updated, but it still retains some of its original charm. It has a variety of amenities, including a spa, fitness center, heated indoor pool, and two restaurants. Guests can also enjoy a variety of activities in downtown Asheville, such as shopping, dining, and visiting art galleries and museums.
Cycling Trails Near Heywood Park Hotel
- French Broad River Trail: This 26-mile paved trail runs along the French Broad River and is a great option for a leisurely bike ride. It is about 1.5 miles from the hotel. More info.
- Biltmore Estate Bike Trail: This 2.5-mile paved trail winds through the Biltmore Estate and offers stunning views of the estate’s gardens and grounds. It is about 3 miles from the hotel. More info.
- Mountains-to-Sea Trail: This 1,175-mile long-distance trail runs from the Outer Banks to the Great Smoky Mountains and passes through Asheville. It is about 5 miles from the hotel. More Info.
- Looking Glass Rock Trail: This 4.5-mile trail is rated as difficult and offers stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is about 10 miles from the hotel. More info.
- Cataloochee Valley Trail: This 10-mile trail is rated as moderate and offers a variety of scenery, including forests, meadows, and waterfalls. It is about 15 miles from the hotel. More Info.
The Foundry Hotel:
This upscale boutique hotel combines rustic charm with modern elegance. Located in the historic foundry building, it offers stylish rooms, a rooftop bar, and a farm-to-table restaurant.
The Foundry Hotel Asheville, Curio Collection by Hilton is a boutique hotel located in the heart of downtown Asheville, North Carolina. The hotel is housed in a historic building that was once a foundry, and the interior design reflects the building’s industrial roots.
The hotel has 127 guest rooms and suites, all of which feature modern amenities such as free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, and marble bathrooms. The hotel also has a number of on-site amenities, including a restaurant, a bar, a fitness center, and a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city. It is located just steps from many of Asheville’s popular attractions, including the Biltmore Estate, the Grove Park Inn, and the Asheville Art Museum. The hotel is also within walking distance of a variety of restaurants, shops, and bars.
Cycle Facilities at The Foundry
- Secure bike storage
- Bike racks
- Bike wash station
- On-site bike mechanic
- Free bike maps and guides
- Discounted rates for bike rentals
Cycling Routes Near The Foundry
- Blue Ridge Parkway: The Blue Ridge Parkway is a scenic road that runs along the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Parkway is a popular destination for cyclists, and there are a number of trails that branch off of the Parkway that are perfect for cycling.
- Biltmore Estate Bike Trail: The Biltmore Estate Bike Trail is a 5.2-mile trail that winds through the Biltmore Estate grounds. The trail is a great way to explore the estate and get some exercise. More info.
- French Broad River Trail: The French Broad River Trail is a 14-mile trail that runs along the French Broad River. The trail is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the scenery. More info
The Windsor Boutique Hotel:
Situated in a beautifully restored 1907 building, The Windsor offers boutique accommodations with a touch of Southern hospitality. Enjoy the elegant rooms and convenient proximity to downtown Asheville. The Hotel is a 14-suite hotel located in the heart of downtown Asheville, North Carolina. The hotel was built in 1907 and has been beautifully restored to its former glory.
The Windsor offers a unique and luxurious experience that is perfect for couples, small groups, or families. Each suite at The Windsor is individually decorated and features a fully equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, and private balcony or patio. The hotel also has a number of on-site amenities, including a fitness center, business center, and rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city.
The Asheville Cottages:
For a cozy and private retreat, consider renting one of the Asheville Cottages. These charming cottages offer modern amenities, fully equipped kitchens, and a tranquil mountain setting. The Cottages are a collection of 14 secluded and luxurious cottages located on a 14-acre wooded property in Asheville, North Carolina. The cottages are all individually decorated and feature a variety of amenities, including full kitchens, fireplaces, hot tubs, and private decks or patios.
he cottages are located just a short drive from downtown Asheville and the Biltmore Estate, and they are close to a number of popular hiking, biking, and fishing trails. The cottages are also pet-friendly, and they offer a variety of activities and amenities for guests, including a game room, a fitness center, and a swimming pool.
Aloft Asheville Downtown:
Located in the heart of downtown Asheville, Aloft is a contemporary hotel with a vibrant atmosphere. Enjoy stylish rooms, a rooftop bar, and proximity to the city’s bustling scene. Aloft Asheville Downtown is a trendy, modern hotel located in the heart of downtown Asheville, North Carolina. The hotel is within walking distance of many of Asheville’s popular attractions, including the Biltmore Estate, the Grove Park Inn, and the Asheville Art Museum. The hotel is also within walking distance of a variety of restaurants, shops, and bars.
Of course if you are flying into Asheville we recommend that you use our Bike Box to protect your cycle.
More Cycling Destinations in The USA
Part of our 5 best places for a cycling vacation in USA series.